1. Health

Keath Low

Hyperfocus

By December 6, 2007

He can focus on computer games for hours at a time! Why canít he finish his homework? She can sit and read a book for three hours straight, so why canít she sit down and get the bills done? If he or she has an attention deficit, how can they focus for hours on one activity?
    These are common questions asked by loved ones of those with ADHD.
    Kathleen Nadeau explains this phenomenon in her book, Adventures in Fast Forward. ďIn actuality, ADD is not a Ďdeficití of attention, but a disorder in which individuals have much less control over their responses to stimuli,Ē writes Nadeau. They are unable to regulate their attention. Though they may have extreme difficulty focusing, organizing, and completing certain mundane tasks, they are often able to focus intently on other activities that interest them. This tendency to become absorbed in tasks that are stimulating and rewarding is called hyperfocus.
      Click on "Hyperfocus: ADHD and AttentionĒ to learn more.
      Have you ever experienced the hyperfocus phenomenon?
      Photo © Microsoft
      Comments
      December 12, 2007 at 12:03 pm
      (1) ines lopez says:

I think that I have ADD, because I am having problem keeping jobs. I feel that nobody comprehend me. Have been so hard to me the lifestyle that I been through. I got an appointment with the “spychiatrist” soon, and I am the one who will tell him my own diagnostic.

Sorry about my spelling, I am spanish speaker.

December 14, 2007 at 2:22 am
      (2) Judia says:

Hyperfocusing can be really hard to deal with. I am ADHD/LD and it’s never easy for me. When I hyperfocus, the world doesn’t exist and people think I’m ignoring them or being rude to them. It’s not that, though! I simply don’t know they’re there. When I’m in that state, nothing exist–not even sounds and sensations–much less people.

December 17, 2007 at 6:53 pm
      (3) Wayne says:

My need to hyper focus happens mostly when I am very bored. At least this is what I would consider bored. Yes I can read a book all night, watch movies for the longest time, Westerns are my favorite. And I can also feel fatigued and tired quite often. My wife is a nurse and she does not understand my mental illness like I do understand the complications and sometimes positive behaviors and lifestyle of who I am. And this lack of wanting to understand my mental illness makes me feel frustrated and sometimes feeling unloved and unappreciated. My need to think positive thoughts and to work with strength that is not my own, has me in a kind of thinking that needs to hyperfocus because no one else really wants to encourage and understand what really bothers me. I have had a business in Idaho, and a small business in Oregon and both of them have been a challenge that has been both rewarding and challenging. My life as a Christian does allow me not to become as overwhelmed as I have done so many years ago. My peace is usually inplace when my mind is not having a balance that is sometimes overwhelming. GOD bless us always!!! Wayne

December 18, 2007 at 6:42 pm
      (4) Cyndi says:

My son (16) has severe ADD and can hyperfocus like non-other. However, when he was younger, I asked his psychologist if life was always going to be this hard. And he replied instantly, “Oh no, he’s actually lucky, because once he figures out what he’s good at, he’ll be REALLY good. But it’s up to you to help him find what he’s good at.” I’ll never forget that comment, and it gave me such relief and hope, and a sense of control over the ADD.

December 8, 2009 at 9:25 am
      (5) laurens says:

i’m 17 and I have ADD and yes indeed I can focus for hours and hours on computer / books cause those are the things i’m interested in!
      ADD’s can focus really well on the things they like to do and not what they dont like.
      I dont really see a big problem for me in ADD just be yourself and when you grow up just do something you like to do cause when an ADD likes it he’s good at it.

March 2, 2010 at 11:58 pm
      (6) Adam (johnsonadam55@yahoo.com) says:

Ok so I don’t have any form of ADD that I’m aware of but I can get stuck on doing things I like easily. I can’t read just any book it has to be specific to my taste and curiosity. I was woundering if there is a way that you can learn to “hyperfocus” without ADD and if you can direct it toward things that you don’t like??? Email me on facebook please it’s much easier or text me.

Thanks and I apprecheat any help I can get.

Johnsonadam55@yahoo.com