1. Health

Sometimes it is confusing to sort through the different types of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. We often hear the terms ADD and ADHD used interchangeably. What is the difference between ADD and ADHD in children? Is there a difference? Click on The Daydreamers vs The Energizer Bunnies to learn more.
    Feel free to share about your own "daydreamer" or "energizer bunny.''
      Photo © Microsoft
      Comments
      January 12, 2008 at 3:21 pm
      (1) Mona says:

I am a musician and a vocalist. I have done better since taking Adderall, but have really struggled the last few years. I’d like to move to Nashville for the music opportunities and because I like it there. I can’t seem to go through my things and moving is so overwhelming. I tried last summer and I burned out. Now I’ve lost my energy and I think I have fatigue all the time maybe as a side-effect of medicine for depression. Even though I don’t have the depression I used to, I still have fatigue, can’t get things done, and I’m 50 (but look early 40′s). In 2004 I moved to Nashville and had all the adrenalin I needed. I returned to my hometown 4 months later because my housing in Nashville didn’t work out at the time. I wish I had someone to help with the basics. (Divorced.) I get disability (gratefully), but I want to use my singing and playing talent so much. Can anyone help or offer some advice or a contact person/ADD coach? Thank you. Mona H. (You may send a response to 521 12th St S, #46, Brookings, SD 57006.)

January 12, 2008 at 4:51 pm
      (2) add says:

Mona,
      Hello! Thanks for sharing. I am going to post your comments on our Forum site so you may reach even more readers with your question. The link for our Forum is http://add.about.com/mpboards.htm It is a great place to get information, support and converse with others going through the same thing.

To find an ADD coach you may use the “Find a Coach Directory” on the ADHD Coaches Organization site. Here is the link. http://www.adhdcoaches.org/content/acomembersearch.html

You may also try the Professional Directory on the CHADD site. http://www.chadd.org/Content/CHADD/Support/ProfessionalDirectory/default.htm
      Good luck!
      Keath

January 12, 2008 at 5:09 pm
      (3) add says:

Mona,
      I forgot to mention to be sure to talk with your doctor about your feelings of fatigue. He may need to adjust your medication.

I posted your comments on the forum. Here it the link to this post

You may find this forum to be a nice place to get support. Best wishes.
      Keath

July 7, 2008 at 5:37 am
      (4) Brutellio says:

Hello. I enjoyed reading your website.
      Have a wonderful day and keep up the good work.
      Brutellio.

August 28, 2008 at 3:04 pm
      (5) susan says:

OkI have a 8yr son that has Major Vision problem we have been in Vison Therphy for over a yr. and still can’t read and understand it when he gets done.he often wonders and has a hard time with things unless its somehting that he has asked to do. he is working on math for 5th graders instead of his 3rd grade math and he could do spelling on a 4th grade level, now he can bearly get his 3rd grade level spelling. School has asked about ADD testing but not sure about it and Dr said he is to young. SO I guess I need HELP form someone who knows more than I do. What can I do to HELP my son and get his learning back on track?

August 28, 2008 at 8:23 pm
      (6) add says:

Susan,
      Here is a link with more info on the symptoms of ADD / ADHD.

If you and the school are feeling that your son’s difficulties are related to problems with focus and attention, it is possible that he has ADHD. It is also possible, however, that his vision problems are causing the issues with distractibility and certainly the issues with learning.

Your son is not too young to be evaluated for ADHD, but it may be that his doctor is having some trouble teasing out what behavior is related to vision verses possible ADHD verses other learning disabilities. Are you noticing that issues with concentration, staying on task, and/or impulsiveness and hyperactivity are present at home, as well as at school? With ADHD symptoms of impairment must be present in two or more settings.

Has your son had a comprehensive educational evaluation? Is he currently receiving special education through the schools?

When you refer to his doctor, do you mean his pediatrician? The pediatrician is typically the first person parents will approach with concerns about possible ADHD. You can also try to find a health care provider who is trained in diagnosing ADHD. Here is a link that may be helpful in locating a professional in your area if you are concerned that ADHD may be an issue. If there aren’t any professionals listed that are local to you, ask your pediatrician for a referral.

You may also want to visit our ADD/ADHD Forum to connect with other parents. The forum link is:

May 11, 2009 at 6:56 pm
      (7) andrea says:

hi my name is andrea, i have a 4 yr old daughter and up until now she has seemed very typical in her behavior as a young child, but over the last month and a half there has been a drastic change. I am having trouble coping and wondering if she has adhd. She has really changed, i don’t feel like i’m dealing with the same person anymore. she never listens, she can’t sit still, she’s pulling hair and hitting when with her friends. when i try to discipline her we end up battling for hours over it. i’m at my wits end…do you have any advice or suggestions of what i could possibly do??

May 11, 2009 at 11:44 pm
      (8) Keath says:

Hi Andrea,
      Was there anything out of the ordinary that happened over the last few months that may have resulted in problematic behaviors? When behaviors change rather abruptly, it is helpful to try to sort out what may have precipitated the change. Perhaps beginning at a new pre-school, a move, stress in the family, a loss, etc.

I would schedule an appointment with a mental health care professional to try to figure out what is going on. It could be anxiety related…or it could be ADHD related and symptoms are just more obvious to you now. It is hard to say without knowing more information.

I know you feel at your wits end, but try not to get into battles with your daughter. A calm, matter of fact approach is best and lets her know you are in control. Talk with the mental health professional about parent support and coaching to help develop interventions that are effective.

April 16, 2013 at 5:09 pm
      (9) Tanya says:

Hi. I am, at the advice of my son’s teachers and Student Resource counsellors, researching info on ADD/ADHD. He has struggled all through school, both at home and at school, with sitting still, following directions, and being organized. He doesn’t have behaviours.. he is very polite, well-spoken, intelligent, and caring towards others. BUT he doesn’t follow instructions or listen well despite his wanting to. He says he doesn’t know WHY he does it. I received a call from his teacher last week saying she’s very concerned as this is now affecting the ‘fun stuff’. ie. forgets stuff for field trips, forgot about a concert his class was putting on (didn’t tell us) 2 days in a row despite many dress rehearsals, etc. He is upset when he misses these things but just can ‘remember’. Although, he can remember every detail about sharks, cars, hockey, etc. He is extremely bright and tests very high in all subjects. The teachers/school are concerned about Gr. 6 and then Junior High and how he will cope with the added responsibility and need to be organized (he is Gr. 5 now). A suggestion was to take him to the doctor and ask about a referral for testing. The school has been quite helpful but I don’t know where to go from here. I know he very well may have ADHD but what can I do in the mean time to help him? Oh and the other thing that is very odd… he ‘perches’ in his seat in class… up on his feet with his arms wrapped around his legs. The teachers and counsellors said they’ve never seen a kid do this before. Any help/advice you can offer would be great! Feeling very concerned and overwhelmed… Thanks!!