1. Health

"My son, who has ADHD, is in 9th grade at high school. My wife and I usually arrive home late. He likes to constantly take a break between doing homework or working on special projects and Internet computer games. He says that doing homework is boring. We tell him that as soon as he completes his homework he can relax and play games. The problem also is that he does not like to wear a watch, so he does not know how much time he takes to relax such as getting a glass of water, eating a snack or reading a book. What do you advise?"
--About.com user

Click on Homework to read response.

Related Reading: Additional Homework Strategies

Please share any other homework tips?

Photo © Microsoft

Comments
March 23, 2008 at 1:11 pm
(1) ADD poster child says:

I can help your son but more importantly, help you. I have ADD but didn’t know until ten years into my career. I graduated high school in 1987. It took me 6 years to get through college, but excelled when I found something I was interested in.

No disrespect to the expert, but using kitchen timers will NOT work with a
student with ADD. Doing something interesting for him will, such as a cell phone with a clock, or the latest trend in electronics that would happen to have a clock on it. People with ADHD are exceptional. They will need exceptional things to excel with ADHD. Give him something he cherishes and is interested in that has a clock in it, if your only problem with him is him wearing a watch. The problem, however, is bigger than the watch. I am sure there is a clock on the TV box, or in the room, but the real problem seems to be a lack of routine or lack of discipline. Most tv’s have sleep timers built in. Set it for one hour so the Tv turns off by itself. Being on a computer is a self discipline deal and I am as guilty as anyone else for spending too much time on the computer. It’s hard, but can be done.

Building a routine is most important thing for someone with ADHD. If he knows where he is supposed to be at any given time of the day, it boxes in his disorder. The next step is getting him to do his homework. The best way to get a person with ADHD to do their homework, is to review the entire book, cover to cover, the first few days of school. It’s never too late, though. Once an ADHD kid has a full understanding of what the goals are in the book, it will make him more interested in the curriculum. It provides a bigger picture.

People with ADD and ADHD are special and are capable of many more things than people without. If harnessed properly, your son can be a world reknowned business owner, like me.

Lastly, make sure he gets involved in after school programs such as sports, band or drama. That, tied in with proper vitamins and nutrition will help him stay focused and develop a routine.

March 23, 2008 at 4:59 pm
(2) add says:

No disrespect taken, at all! I appreciate your insight and comments. Thank you for posting.

It makes a big difference to hear from others who have gone through or are going through the same things. I am hopeful that this site will be a place where people interact and share with each other.

Please feel free to post your ideas any time.
Best regards,
Keath

April 12, 2008 at 7:18 pm
(3) Judy says:

Dr. Low,
A couple months ago I found the article and posts about Paralysis of the Will. Bingo! I’ve known for 23 years that I have ADD, but have never seen anything that describes my biggest problem! I meant to print the article, but……
Anyway, now I can’t find it. I see there is a link for it, but when I click on it, there are other articles, but not the one on POTW. Can you help? By the way, I am receiving your emails. Thank you SO much! Judy

April 13, 2008 at 4:38 pm
(4) add says:

Oh Judy,
I have searched and searched for that thread in the forum. I am worrying that it may have been deleted when I first started and began organizing the posts. There were posts back from ten years ago and I needed to make more room for new folders. I certainly hope I did not delete it! If you saw it only a few months ago, we may be okay. I started with the site five months ago and only rearranged the forum in my first two to three weeks.

The article is another matter. When a new guide starts, new material is created. There may be a chance I can access old material, but I am not sure. Let me check on this on Monday and I’ll see what I can find out.

You can read posts related to the topic if you go to the Advanced Search Link in the forum:

Type in “paralysis will” and set the “Updated From:” section at “Beginning of Time” to “Today”

These will give you many posts related to that topic, but I cannot find the original thread. I am so, so sorry. It was obviously a very helpful thread. I will keep trying and if I find it, I’ll let you know right away.

Keath

May 16, 2009 at 12:00 am
(5) Pat says:

May 16, 2009 at 12:05 am
(6) Pat says:

Sorry, I guess I didn’t post correctly.

April 25, 2010 at 5:29 am
(7) Michelle says:

Focus is an difficult goal to maintain for many children (and parents!). I find that I can help my kid focus when I am prepared with lots of ideas of how to help him. Whether it’s offering him a sensory stimulus or scheduling his time with sufficient variations in types of learning activities. Patience and persistence is certainly key!

October 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm
(8) ben says:

does anybody know what happened to the thread on “paralysis of the will” I’d really like to locate it