1. Health

Keath Low

Ever Blurt Out or Say Things Without Thinking? - Please Share Your Experiences and Tips

By August 24, 2009

Verbally impulsive responses – saying things or blurting out words without thinking through how they may be perceived – is a common symptom of ADHD. Unfortunately, this can create feelings of embarrassment and regret as one About.com reader has experienced.

“Does anyone seem to say the wrong thing to someone, realize it later, way after it's too late, and then feel stupid about it for days afterwards? How do you recover?” --About.com User

Help others out by sharing your experiences, feelings, and/or tips for dealing with verbal impulsivity. Please Share Here

Photo © Microsoft

Comments
August 25, 2009 at 1:31 pm
(1) Lisa says:

People with ADHD often do this cause they have something to share but knkow they will forget in a split second, so they blurt it out. Also people may get so overwhelmed by verbal and visual stimuli that they will blurt out or lash out. I’ve lost friends and people don’t want to be around me cause of this.

Breathing, meditation and think of just three things to say. “I have three things to contribute.” XYZ

Lisa

August 25, 2009 at 9:18 pm
(2) Keath says:

Hey Lisa,
Thanks for sharing. :)
Keath

September 6, 2009 at 11:26 am
(3) Alastair says:

story of my life that is. I went from craving atention as a painter/Decorator to lothing it too because I lost freinds real quick. I am so used to it that I see it in there eyes before they speak. Now I need medication just to be sociable.
Reason i regestered here is because its pointless talking to people about it if they don,t know where I am comming from. I am sure you will agree!

September 6, 2009 at 8:06 pm
(4) Keath says:

Alastair,
Be sure to read the article link with other responses about “blurting out”

You may also be interested in our ADD/ADHD Discussion Forum:

September 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm
(5) JacP says:

It actually helps me to learn that others experience this. I think that it has taken me many, many years to realize that this is a serious problem. I suffer from very low sense of self as a result of impulsivity. There aren’t chances for “do overs” and I am now becoming more and more avoidant of social situations. I haven’t tried to counter this problem because it has taken me until now to realize what is going on. I am ashamed and it is hard to move forward. I want to crawl under a rock instead.

September 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm
(6) Keath says:

JacP,
Try to let go of the shameful feelings. You are certainly not alone. ADHD, especially if it is untreated, can wreak havoc in social situations. Talk with your doctor right away about your feelings. You can move forward and things can begin to feel better with proper treatment.

Honestly, you really are not alone in your feelings. Be kind to yourself. You have taken the first step in simply recognizing the problems. Pat yourself on the back for this and then take the next step by connecting with your doctor.

September 21, 2010 at 12:33 am
(7) Jen says:

Welcome to my ADHD 40 year old world. WTF…I think I got a handle on it…and bang…Strattera fails me. So tired of avoiding being socially activated…business meetings…I am a CEO and if I don’t focus with all energy…well…you can do the math…arghhh

November 19, 2010 at 11:56 pm
(8) Ellie says:

To Jen: Commendable that you persevere on this job despite what might be considered “unsuitability” to it; I realised recently that I’ve been swinging between “blurting” and complete paralysis of verbal reaction to people confiding or trying to confide in me. I am reluctant to diagnose myself with ADHD ( this term sometimes is overused, it seems), however, I empathise with people expressing their anguish here, as the urge to blurt is sometimes unbearable and feels like the only right thing to say!
Just to empathise with JacP, no chance of do-overs is a burning shame – comparable only to the anguish of “not having said” something.
One day we will get it right through the day ! Hopefully, we’ll still stay human beings rather than dispassionate computers.

December 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm
(9) A.C.T says:

It feels a little better to read that I’m not the only person going through this. I came from a family that simply DO NOT believe in one of there on just may have a mental illness. I’ve ruined numerous relationships by blurting hurtful things to people, After I think about what I’ve said moments later it’s almost as if I wanted to hurt you before you hurt me. ADHD (with adderall xl) has improved me a bit by allowing to have some what of a filter, but it’s really hard for me (military wife early 30″s) to even have interest in trying to build new relationships because I altogether just want to avoid drama. Thanks for you guys post, it felt good to vent a bit to people that truly understands.

August 25, 2011 at 5:46 am
(10) Linda says:

FOR THE PASTTWO MONTHS I’VE HAD TO GO TOTRAFFIC COURT IN NY AND IF IT WASN’TBECAUSE OF THIS MISHAP I WOULD OF NEVER HAD NOTICE THESYMPTOM. I DONTKNOW IF IT IS BECAUSE I AM USUALLY ALONE AND ALWAYS BLURTING THINGS OUT AT THE COMPUTER THAT MAYBE IT HAS BECOME A BAD HABIT BUT I THINK THAT SINCE ON MY WAY TO COURT I SPEN MORE THAN 2 HOURSE ON VERY QUITE TRAIINS THAT I HAVE MY MIND RUNNING ON OVER LOAD AND SO WHEN THIS GUY CROSSED THE STREET I COMPLETED SAID A WHOLE SENTECE USING SLAG TO MYSEL FREFFERING TO A FRIEND BUT WAS REALLY WALKING ALONE ATHOUGH A COMPLETE STRANGER WAS RIGHT NEXT TOME. I WAS SO EMBARASSED I COULD EVEN PEEK A LOOK TO THE PERSON STANDING NEARME ON THE CROSS WALK. I ALLSO NOTICE THAT BOTH TIMES WHEN INSIDE THE COURT ROOM I BLURT THINGS OUT TO MYSELF LIKE WHEN THEY CALLED MY NAME I THOUGHT I WISPERED BUT SINCE IT IS SO QUITE I THINK THE JUDGE HAS HEARD ME “BOTH TIMES” I SAID THANK GOD, AND REFFERING TOTHE LADY WHO CALLS THE CASES I ONCE SAID SHE IS SO SLOW” I AM SO HUMILIATED. IWISH I NEVER HAVETO GO BACK O AND ON THE ELEVATOR I CAUGHT MYSELF BLURTING OUT “YO IM TRIPPING”