1. Health

Keath Low

Poll: For Adults with ADD/ADHD

By April 6, 2009

How old were you when you were first diagnosed with ADD/ADHD? Please let us know by completing the poll below. Feel free to post any additional thoughts in the comments section after the poll.

Comments
April 8, 2009 at 11:02 am
(1) TheAnt says:

It looks like one generally is diagnosed between 5 and 10 as a child or likely 5-10 years after an ADD child was born.

My wife and I waited until we were 30 to have kids so some time after 35 it all came together.

Had I had treatment during Hs and college I would likely have gotten engineering degree but math difficulty and general ADD effects led me to a technical batchelor’s degree.

My son has had the benefit of treatment and I believe that he did not get the challenges and so the toughness one gets (hopefully) fighting the way through ADD hardships.

This has made relationships and my tolerance at a disadvantage.

April 8, 2009 at 2:33 pm
(2) Stan says:

This poll requires a few more questions.

How old when you wre diagnosed?
How old are you now?
How many years have you known you were ADD/ADHD?

For example, I’m 58 and was diagnosed at age 48 so I’ve only known I was ADD for 10 years. If I was still the same age but had been diagnosed earlier, my life may have been significantly different than it has been.

April 8, 2009 at 3:50 pm
(3) saddle_tramp says:

prior to my diagnosis at the tender age of 39, my thoughts on the topic of ADD/ADHD were primarily those of the skeptic… thought it was all psychobabbler bs designed to promote and enhance the lifestyle of the psychobabbler community. after diagnosis, was able to accept that perhaps son’s teacher’s comment regarding his potential for falling into the same category had some merit… and that was 13 yrs ago.

April 8, 2009 at 9:47 pm
(4) Lynn says:

At 56 to be finally know, at least in part, ADD explains alot. Some of my doctors say no even now.

April 9, 2009 at 2:35 pm
(5) LittleD1981 says:

I’m 28, and was diagnosed at 21, which was absolutely ridiculous because when I was in school as a kid I had major problems and there was obviously something very wrong with me, but everyone ignored it for some reason, never getting me any help. I wasn’t helped for anything, and I had bipolar (known now) in high school, as well. Even when a social worker saw my picture of Kurt Cobain with a rifle in his mouth hanging in my locker, it was simply ignored and never mentioned. Mental illness has such horrible stigma, including ADHD, which many people don’t believe exists. People tell me, “Oh, that’s normal.” to whatever behavior/symptom I tell them is related to my ADHD and I respond with, “Yeah, but when such-and-such symptom/behavior is chronic and causing major problems in any area of your life, there is a problem there.” Usually they shut up after that.

April 11, 2009 at 5:54 pm
(6) Georgina says:

I had to diagnose myself.
Seven years in therapy and no PhD came up with it!

April 11, 2009 at 7:32 pm
(7) Sylvia Lyons says:

I was not tested until a few weeks after my 61st birthday this past November. Wow!!! Finally after all of these years of suffering from major chronic depression, and General Anxiety Disorder, I also was made aware that yes indeed, I also have AADD. It makes sense to me now. I can look back and see some of the problems I have had, were not because I was stupid. That it is just how my brain is wired. Thank God for my new psychiatrist and psychologist!!!!!

April 12, 2009 at 4:50 pm
(8) addlib says:

The results also seem to show a skew in the cohorts groupings @ diagnosis, that reflect the Baby Boomer mass of peoples. That would be expected, since 10% (or however many of us there are) of a larger number … is LARGER!

I was just a few months shy of 40 years old when diagnosed, so I placed myself in my 40′s on the survey. (I am currently 56.) Son had it; I gave it to him; if all is not well, it at least makes sense now!

On the one hand, I had much to grieve at that time — relationship screw-ups, unfulfilled academic & professional potential, etc. On the other hand — I LIKE my interesting and differently-wired brain, especially when it is properly medicated (!) and only with my history, would I be able to recognize and exploit the pitfalls & unique advantages for those I mentor, behind me.

Rock On, ADDers! :-)